In order to ensure that Satellite Interactive Terminals (RCSTs) meet both regulatory and proprietary acceptance requirements, each new type of RCST is required to undergo conformance tests. Satellite operators' acceptance tests, based on the ETSI DVB-RCS Standard plus the specific requirements of each satellite network operator, are dealing with the interworking between terminal and network with a view to the interoperability in different satellite interactive systems.
The objective of this project is a critical and thorough analysis and a clear identification for each of three specified HUB manufacturers with view to interoperability. This analysis will deal with:
- DVB-RCS options implemented or intended to be implemented
- Deviations from the DVB-RCS standard
- Shortcuts in the implementation
- Analysis of the importance of the above deviations and differences in the different systems with a view of interoperability.
- The feasibility of a Common Test Bed (CTB)
- Preparation of an outline Common Test Plan (CTP)
The objective of all this activity is to set up a Common Test House for DVB-RCST compliance and interoperability testing.
Based on the conclusions taken in the study the realisation of a Test Bed for DVB RCST has been pushed by SatLabs and ESA as well.
Main benefits are:
- Enforcement of all involved parties to make RCST interpoperability and compliance testing possible
- Set-up of a Common Test Bed for DVB-RCS compliance and interoperability testing.
- Set-up of a Common Test House for DVB-RCS compliance and interoperability testing.
A System Architecure is not applicable to this project.
The Project was performed in three steps with following tasks:
- Implementation Matrix
- Development System Manufacturers Questionnaire
- Discussion with the different HUB system manufacturers in order to understand their implementations
- Study of 3 questionnaires delivered by System Manufacturers Documentation Review
- Detailed analysis of the different HUB implementations with a view to determine the feasibility of a CTB
- Analysis of system test plans prepared by the different system manufacturers·
- Technical note with the result of the criti-cal review
- Assess feasibility of CTB based on using the different HUBs (either in the HUB manufacturer's premises or co-located)
- Presentation of the results to the SatLab Group
- Preparation CTP
Preparation of an outline CTP (core and options for the different systems) taking into account the findings and conclusions of the previous tasks and based on dis-tributed CTB based on the existing HUBs.
The project was finished in the third quarter of 2002.