HERMES project aims at implementing pilot operations both in Tele-Medicine and in Tele-Education, using asymmetrical Internet via satellite, dedicated hardware / software platforms. Applications implemented for Tele-Medicine are:
- Reference Data and Medical Support Services
- Multimedia patient record
Teleconsulting (one to one and/or multipoint)
Applications implemented for Tele-education are:
- GIOTTO Platform
- Video lessons (on demand/downloaded)
- Virtual library
- Laboratory (download)
- Collaborative Learning (life)
- Technological Platform Evolv-e
- Medical Reference Data
- Medical Info Services
- Multimedia Medical Records
- GIOTTO Platform
- Collaborative Learning with Evolv-e Platform
- Video lessons
- Intelligent library
- Virtual Laboratory
- Cost-effectiveness increase in access and utilisation of Medical Reference Data in clinical and academic scenarios;
Virtual Medical Consulting alternative to real one made possible.
- Telematic Giotto and Evolv-e Platforms implementation;
Virtual Collaborative Learning implementation.
The network basic architecture used to implement and develop this project is based on the Iperspace Platform for telemedicine and Evolv-e for Distance Learning which is composed of:
- The Service Centre, which hosts the servers equipment;
- The Hub, composed by: RF earth station, Base Band equipment, connected to the Service Centre;
The Client, or the users receiving device ensuring the link to the Service Centre via satellite.
The Service centre provides the link and the hosting to the following application servers:
- The J-Hospital Multimedia patient Records for the support to the teleconsulting sessions;
- Mirror sites of Nettuno Educational Databases, based on 'GIOTTO' platform and delivered via Evolv-e;
Mirror sites of IAEVA I, IAEVA II, EURORAD EU Projects Databases and related Medical Info/Consulting/Education/Tutoring Providing Services.
Users will be connected to the SC via ISDN and will receive downloaded data through satellite connection.
1st Phase: Architectural Design
- Start up: September 1998 - Contract ESA for HERMES Project and start up
- BDR1 ( 1st Phase End ) : November 1998 - Architectural Design
2nd Phase: Service Implementation and marketing development
- Start up: December 1998
- MTR1 ( Telemedicine Platform set-up ): February 1999
- March 1999 - HERMES network update after definition of detail architecture
- MTR2 ( Service Implementation and Marketing Development, Tele-Education Platform set-up ): May 1999
- MTR3 (Service Implementation and Marketing Development, Telemedicine Platform upgrade ): December 2000
- MTR4 (Service Implementation and Marketing Development, Tele-Education and Telemedicine both operatives ): May 2001
- MTR5 (Service Implementation and Marketing Development, Tele-Education Platform upgrade, Telemedicine Platform final tests ): April 2002
- September 2002 : Change Notice addressing the transfer of Prime Contractor represented by Telecom Italia to Telespazio
- January 2003 : Beginning of the Pilot Trials HERMES Project for both the disciplines: Telemedicine & Tele-Education
- Final Review HERMES Project: April 2004
The Final Review of the HERMES Project is considered successfully completed.